Forums » General » Female plumber - finally, in 2019

vanessawalsh

She checked all the plumbing in our new/old house, gave a number of recommendations and replaced the wax rings on two toilets.

It struck me that in all the decades that I was a homeowner, employing many, many skilled workers, she was the first female plumber who ever worked in our house. And all the other tradesmen we hired were men. Not because we don't need women, but because there were simply no women in the technical staff of the company.

I asked her how she got into plumbing. She worked as a cleaner after school (high school) and learned a lot about plumbing. Then she tried to go to school to study programming in medicine, but it seemed boring to her. Then she studied to be an auto mechanic, but found that plumbing paid better.

These days, it just surprises me that I don't meet more women in qualified professions, especially in the home service sector. In the mid-20th century, my dad was an electrician who worked on heavy construction sites where work was hard (even for him in his old age), and even he said that a female electrician would be no worse than a man, especially in a house where the physical demands were not so high. But there were no women in his union at all

dianawood

Wow, it's cool that women work in different fields on an equal footing with men.

drikat

This is quite interesting and surprising, because I have not met women in professions that are stereotypically called male. However, for my region, a female plumber is quite familiar, because there are not so many jobs in my city and women work in the service sector. For example, they are engaged in electricity supply, road repairs, work in taxis. I am very glad that this is happening, because I believe that work should not have gender, and it is necessary to choose according to the level of qualifications and skills. You can see this to make sure that female plumbers are a fairly common practice. This is for the most part in Europe and the United States, but for example in Russia there is still patriarchy in most areas.